When today’s fixture was confirmed last month it was as close to a potential six pointer as we could get with points scarce at the foot of the table, but today’s vistor’s Gaerwen arrived in confident mood after winning their previous two league games.

In front of the biggest crowd at Lon Bach this season the early chances at goal were restricted to long range efforts with Amlwch’s John Earnshaw and Gaerwen’s Alan Williams coming closest to troubling the keepers.

The visiting rearguard combined well midway through the half to deal with a goalmouth scramble before the first real effort at goal came after half hour when Town’s Callum McCormack whipped in a free kick which was headed on by Chris Byast before falling to Adrian Jones who’s effort was saved by visiting keeper Gwyndaf Owen.

Gaerwen’s David Hughes almost broke the deadlock straight after the restart but his effort sailed over. Amlwch tried their luck from distance with Earnshaw seeing his effort go wide before John Jones saw his sail over.

Amlwch were beginning to dominate the possession as they pushed for a first league win but were soon to find keeper Owen in unbeatable form, firstly stopping a Jamie Jones effort following an Earnshaw set piece and then somehow managing to get down to tip Adrian Jones’ effort round the post.

Gaerwen were again restricted to long range efforts with Steve Hughes and Tim Evans blasting over before Amlwch again came close to scoring when Jamie Jones fired the ball across only for Steve Lloyd to narrowly fail to connect.

With five minutes of injury time added on, Gaerwen stepped up a gear in an attempt to snatch a win but again McKean was hardly tested with Dave Hughes and Franceso D’Angio again putting the ball over the woodwork leaving the game goalless and the points shared.

The Reserves were more successful on their travels, picking up three points at Newborough thanks to a 2-0 victory. Debutant Brynmor Taylor wasted no time in making an impression scoring after only two minutes before youngster Ryan Jones scored his first senior goal just after the quarter hour mark. The win could have been even greater with Taylor failing to convert a penalty towards the end.

Leave a Reply